Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Diabetes management in the Third World

He is 32 year old male. He is a poor manual labourer ready to do any kind of job.He is also a Type 1 Diabetes patient for last 7 years.

He lived near the place I worked previously.He presented to me 7 years ago with sudden loss of weight and severe fatigue. His blood sugar was around 500mgs. He was treated with insulin and fluids and he became better.A trial of oral tablets for Diabetes was tried but did not work. He could not afford C peptide estimation or antibody estimation to prove that he is having Type 1 Diabetes. As he responded only to Insulin he was assumed as type 1 and treated with twice daily premixed Insulin.

As I moved out from that area I did not see him for few years. Last week he came to me again. He came for some relief to his severe unbearable ear ache. I asked him about his Diabetes.He reassuringly told me that he is taking Insulin injections regularly twice a day.He was not concerned about his Diabetes.He is having this ear ache and discharge for last few months. I examined him and saw that he had thick pus coming out of his right ear. He also had high blood pressure and severe numbness of his feet.
'When did you check your blood sugar?' I asked.
He was not very sure. 'May be 3 months ago', he replied.
What was the sugar value? I persisted
'May be around 300. It was always around that when i check'. He revealed.
'Do you keep your Insulin in refrigerator'? I enquired. I remembered that he used to keep his Insulin at a pharmacy nearby as he or his neighbours did not have a Fridge.
'No .I keep it in a plastic Mug filled with water'.
'Why not in the pharmacy'? I asked.
His explanation was like this. The pharmacy in which he used to keep his Insulin had closed few years ago.Also somebody had told him that Insulin if not kept in a Fridge, should be kept under water.
Here is a Type 1 Diabetes patient who is storing his Insulin improperly and thereby reducing its potency. He is taking this low potency Insulin and is checking his blood sugar rarely.His blood sugar is always high and now he is developing Diabetic nephropathy and neuropathy.Due to this poorly controlled blood sugar he had also developed acute ear infection about which only he is bothered.
What should I do?
I told him the importance of keeping the Insulin in a cool environment.I asked him to see anyone of his neighbours have a Fridge.If not I told him to buy an Earthen pot, put water and few pieces of ice in it and put the insulin in it so that it is submerged in water.I also gave him a week's course of antibiotics for his ear infection and few anti BP tablets. I refused his offer of consultation fee.
Should I have done more? Should I have donated a refrigerator to his house? Or should I have helped him in any other way?

I don't know.
There are thousands of such Type 1 Diabetes patients through out the third world. Only very fortunate few survive more than 10 years after diagnosis.
Let us hope the future will be bright for such patients. Let us work for more just world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI,
Nice to know a doc feels so much for the patient.U r doing a good job not only by giving ur valuable service free of carge but also by sharing ur view with others. Keep it up. i think v all as the citizens of this planet should tackle these problems together by pooling our resources and putting our heads together. Governments should try to solve these problems. Proper policy making will go a long way in helping the poor.

kochuthresiamma p .j said...

a real eyeopener - this post. we dont think of how people who dont have fridge store medicines that have to be refrigerated.
you medical blogs are very informative and highly readable.
you are doing great work

Arun.N.M. said...

Thank you KT for those encouraging comments.The problem of inability to Refrigerate your medicines can be overcome by little ingenuity.But it is almost impossible to overcome poverty